Coinmama has been known since our launch in 2013 as one of the easiest and fastest ways to buy Bitcoin with credit card or debit card. To better service the needs of our 1.25 million+ users, we’ve added numerous cryptocurrencies over the years, in addition to Bitcoin and Ethereum.
In August of 2018, we further expanded our services to include support for Bitcoin purchases via bank transfer. Our European users can now buy bitcoin with a bank account, without needing a credit or debit card, or any other payment service.
The Pros and Cons of Buying Bitcoin with a Bank Account
Buying Bitcoin with a bank account differs somewhat from buying Bitcoin with a credit or debit card. You’ll get the same trusted Coinmama service either way, but here are the important things to keep in mind regarding wire over plastic:
Unlock your financial freedom.
Elon Musk has his Bitcoin, do you?
- Considerably lower fees: as credit card companies charge a fairly steep processing fee of 5%, you can get more bitcoin for your hard-earned fiat when buying through your bank account.
- All SEPA accounts supported: provided your bank account is in EU or UK and supports SEPA payment, you’re free to buy bitcoins with it. As we only accept MasterCard or VISA cards, bank payments allow us to extend our service to more users.
- Higher limits: our current daily limit for bank account purchases is just over €10,200. This is more than double our daily credit or debit card limit of €4,255. If you’re looking to buy a substantial amount of bitcoin, the bank transfer method just makes sense.
Note: your purchase limits will be increased the more bitcoins you can buy from us, whichever payment method you choose:
- Bank transfer purchases are slower: credit or debit card purchases are processed nearly instantly. Our users generally receive their bitcoins within 30 minutes when paying by this method. As the banks unfortunately take longer to process SEPA transfers, it usually takes a day or two for our users to receive their bitcoins when paying by bank transfer.
- Your rate is locked in when we the transfer: Bitcoin’s price can be very volatile. For this reason, the exact rate you get when paying via a bank transfer is locked in at the time we receive your transfer. As payments can take several hours or even days to process, Bitcoin’s price may change in the meantime. As a result, you could end up receiving more or less coins than expected, depending on whether price goes up or down in the interim. This makes bank payments less predictable than card payments, which are locked in straight away.
- Limited to the EU and UK: our card payment method allows us to support 188 countries around the world. At this time, our bank transfer payment method only supports SEPA bank accounts within the following 33 Single Euro Payment Area (SEPA) countries:
- Czech Republic,
- The Netherlands,
- Switzerland, and
- the United Kingdom.
How to Buy Bitcoin with a Bank Account
UK and EU residents may use our new SEPA transfer method to buy Bitcoin. This option allows you to pay with Euros sent from any SEPA region bank account, which must be registered in your name. Bank transfers have lower fees and higher limits than card purchases but do take somewhat longer; up to a couple of business days.
Here’s how to go about buying BTC from Coinmama, from start to finish, in 4 easy steps:
Step 1 – Create Your Coinmama Account:
- Head to the Coinmama website and select the blue “Sign Up” tab.
- You’ll need to enter your email, password, first name, last name and your country of residence.
- If you already have an account, just sign in with your login details.
For more information on how to create an account with us, click here.
Step 2 – Verify Your Account:
- To purchase bitcoin (BTC), you first need to become verified.
- It’s necessary to upload your ID or passport, plus various other documents depending on which level of verification you wish to reach.
- For further help with account verification, please click here.
Step 3 – Purchase Your Bitcoin:
- Once signed in and verified, navigate to the “Bitcoin” tab in the top menu bar.
- Once there, you will be presented with several choices: either purchase a set amount of BTC, or enter in a custom amount of up to roughly €10,200 (for a new user on Level 1). Although you can choose to price BTC against EUR or USD, only EUR payments are accepted.
- Supply your Bitcoin wallet address. If you don’t have a wallet yet, please read this article. The Bitcoin address is where we’ll send the coins which you buy. You can re-use this address for subsequent purchases or get a new one from your wallet, at your discretion. Please also consider our advice on storing your bitcoins securely.
- Next, select the “Go to Payment” button.
5. Now choose the “Bank Transfer” method. Tick both “I understand” boxes after reading the relevant information, then click the “Next” button. You will now be presented with all the banking details necessary to make a bank transfer to Coinmama’s account. As soon as we get your payment, we’ll send the bitcoins to the wallet address you supplied in Step 3 part 3.
Step 4 – the Checkout Page
- Complete the form with your relevant details. Make sure that your banking details, such as your name, correspond with the details you supplied when creating your Coinmama account. The bank account must be held in your name, not that of a business or any other third party.
Finally, proceed to payment by clicking on the “Pay now” button.
Once your card payment has been made, the order status will read “In Process.” This means that your order is being processed by the bank. SEPA transfers may take up to two business days.
When paying via SEPA, note that you will get the BTC / EUR rate at the time your money arrives at our account. This means that during times of high price volatility, you may get a rather different Bitcoin amount (either more or less) than expected.
Once payment has been made, our BTC transaction to your wallet’s address then needs to be confirmed by the Bitcoin network. In approximately 10 minutes, a Bitcoin payment will be broadcast from Coinmama’s wallet to the Bitcoin address you supplied in Step 3 point 3.
Note: during times when the Bitcoin network gets especially busy, your transaction may take longer than normal to appear as confirmed within your wallet. Ordinarily, the transaction will be confirmed within roughly 10 minutes but this exact timeframe can’t be guaranteed.
For large amounts, it’s recommended that you wait for up to 5 more confirmations. You may then regard the transaction as final and spend your new coins.